- Notify Me
- All Jobs
- Contact us
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2020
Date Posted: Monday, June 29, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
The Country Director leads all aspects of TechnoServe’s country level strategic branding and operations to achieve sustainable economic development in a cost-effective manner. The position uses entrepreneurial skills and inspires team members and external stakeholders to strengthen pro-poor market-oriented development, develops partnerships to finance innovative program that strengthen value chains, grow domestic production, build up entrepreneurs, establish industries and markedly improve lives within the country. .
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
• Strategically selects areas of work, partnerships, and methodologies that most effectively contribute to pro-poor market-oriented development, and assures excellence of implementation through total quality management and evidence-based decision-making
• Develops, presents, and implements the strategic vision, annual goals and objectives for the country program in line with organizational strategic plan
• Champions local talent. Directs, inspires and develops a team; ensures mid-year and year-end performance evaluations are conducted with all staff; and recommends and implements all salary increases based upon performance.
• Recruits, orients, motivates, inspires and enables a high quality local and international team; promotes and creates opportunities for advancement of employees
• Represents and promotes TechnoServe’s mission and objectives externally. Liaises with the media, public, local government and its agencies, as well as other NGOs.
• Provides strategic direction and leadership with overall responsibility for meeting the goals and objectives of programs;
• Provides leadership and mentorship to the local staff in order to build their own leadership and management capacities;
• On boards and oversees the local project teams as described in project proposals, making shifts as deemed appropriate;
• Implements the contracted development program according to the terms of the contract issued by the donor and adhering to the activities set out in the approved project proposal;
• Creates implementation strategies and work plans to meet all contracted deliverables;
• Implements and manages the country program and budget while also managing relations with financial institutions, reviewing all financial information, monthly reports, business plans, etc. on a timely basis, ensuring proper acquisition, management and eventual disposition of all TechnoServe operational assets required for the program (vehicles, computers, furniture, etc.) and communicates internally and externally with employees, and home and regional/divisional offices.
• Secures funding to continue to grow country program development; develops funding proposals; and cultivates and maintains TechnoServe in-country partner and donor relationships.
• Cultivates, grows, and improves relationships and synergies among in-country partners and donors, including local government, bilateral and multilateral development/donor organizations; foundations and relevant local Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs); private sector associations and corporations.
• In collaboration with the Business Development unit, supports the development of leads, concepts, and proposals.
• Assess industries, market research, and other analytical exercises that generate insight into opportunities for TechnoServe to achieve its mission
• In collaboration with headquarters office, strengthens Gender, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems, evidence-based learning and technical approaches and models
Job Skills: Not Specified
• A Master’s degree in business, economics, agriculture or other relevant discipline with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience in a relevant field, including the development of agricultural value chains, private sector and/or entrepreneurship
• A minimum of five years of experience leading a business unit or large-scale project with responsibility for all aspects of operations; evidence of operations management and administration skills
• A minimum of five years of professional experience in a developing country
• Knowledge of financial and contractual requirements of major donors active in the country
• Strong skills in business software (Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
• Private sector strategy and management experience, including several of the following key skills areas: business development, consulting, training, financial analysis, marketing, business plan and proposal writing
• Demonstrated ability to form, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results
• Proven capacity to fundraise effectively and represent the organization among a diverse range of stakeholders
Required Languages Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, including report writing and presentations
Travel Ability to travel domestically up to 50%, and internationally as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; a self-starter, strong interpersonal/people management and organizational skills
• Strong diplomatic skills to support effective work with government, implementing partners and donors
Job Education Requirements: A Master’s degree in business
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Supervisory Responsibilities – Supervises 11 direct reports including program and operations staff.
Existing work authorization in Zambia is required.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 202 785 4515.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join.